Tuesday, November 27, 2012

DIY Stencil Shirt

I love making shirts. This one was a new adventure for me. It involved making a stencil with words. I got nervous. But I really wanted to try this! (You can check out the pinterest picture here.) I also wanted to do something special for a non-crafter friend of mine. So here we are...



Materials needed:
*shirt, or fabric...honestly you could do this to any fabric
*FREEZER paper contact paper could work, but it will not give a clean edge like freezer paper...)
*iron
*fabric paint
*Xacto knife
*sponge brush
*quote or picture ( I used "But first, coffee")

Find the quote you want and print it out. I just typed mine in word processing program and printed it out.

Place freezer paper, shiny side down over the quote.. Tape to hold in place. Cut the letters out. 

Saying all cut out
Be mindful of the holes in the letters like the circles in O's and things. You need them when you paint so save them! Unless you are going for the completely filled in letters look.
The letter inserts. SAVE THEM.


Once the stencil is cut out, line it up on your t-shirt. Iron the stencil onto the shirt using the iron on low setting. Make sure you get all the edges. Place a piece of cardboard inside the shirt to prevent the paint from soaking through to the other side.


With a sponge brush, brush the paint on to the shirt. The brand of paint I used suggested 1-2 coats of paint. I used two. Let the paint dry. My paint said 4 hours.




 Take off the stencil. You many need to turn the shirt inside out to press the paint with the iron to set it so be sure to check the paint label! The paint I used did not suggest a press with an iron. All done! You could easily use this for your favorite quote, bible verse, anything! And it doesn't have to be on a shirt. You could add this to a canvas bag or something similar. Happy crafting!!


This a gift for a non-crafty friend. And she loved it. ♥

And for the Whovian in your life:


2 comments: