Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Canvas Nativity Scene

I saw this kind of craft on Pinterest using tape to make words or shapes and having your child paint over the canvas and then removing the tape when the paint dries to reveal the shape/word. I thought it would be fun to attempt to make something that involves Christmas.

We made a manger scene.

Materials Needed:
*canvas (Artist's Loft Back-stapled traditional canvas found at Michael's)
*Nativity Template (this is what I created and you are free to download and use mine. Just know it is not completely even)
*paint (we used acrylic)
*paint brush
*contact paper
* Xacto knife
*cutting mat or board




You will first print out the Nativity Template or make your own "scene". With the shiny side up, place the contact paper (with backing still on), over the template. You may need to tape it down so that the contact paper doesn't curl up on you.



Cut the template out using the Xacto knife on your cutting mat. If you are using my template, I followed the black outlines until I got to the star. I cut where the star stuck out and not where it overlapped on the roof because that wouldn't be seen if it was a silhouette. Once the scene is cut out, stick it on the canvas. Press it firmly to the canvas and go over the edges to make sure it sealed. I used a quarter to go over the contact paper to help it stick better.




Now it's paint time. I asked Princess what colors she would like. She of course wanted to use all the colors we had. She had fun painting and mixing the colors.



Then we waited for the paint to dry.



Once the paint is dry, carefully remove the contact paper.



We just used some white paint and touched it up a bit.
And here is the master piece:




Merry Christmas!!

1 comment: